footer pages motorbike banner
More protection, fewer worries


The UK formally left the European Union at 11pm on 31st January 2020.

The UK Department for Transport have clarified their legal position and confirmed that they will accept a valid Irish motor insurance certificate and/or discs as proof of insurance for Irish-registered vehicles travelling in the UK and Northern Ireland, as these are compliant with UK legislation.

In relation to Irish-registered motorcycle or agricultural tractor vehicles, some of these vehicles display insurance discs and some do not. If you’re travelling to the UK including Northern Ireland, no additional documentation is required if the vehicle has a valid Irish insurance disc. However, if the vehicle does not have a valid Irish insurance disc then it is recommended that you carry your motor insurance certificate with you or obtain a Green Card from your insurance provider.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is a document that can be presented to law enforcement officers when needed, and provides proof of insurance. It’s a physical document, printed on green paper and cannot be issued in an electronic format.

I need a Green Card, what do I do and what happens next?

Call our customer services team as soon as possible. It could take up to four weeks to issue, so please call us on 1800 298 551 as soon as you know your travel plans.

We will need to know:

  • Dates of travel
  • Name(s) of people who need to be insured
  • If you are planning to tow a caravan / trailer you will need a separate Green Card for this

There is no charge for the Green Card and once processed, we will send this to you. Make sure you take the Green Card and your insurance certificate with you on your travels.

Further information on Green Cards can be found on the Insurance Ireland Website

As always, if you have any questions about your policy, you can contact us on 1800 298 551.